Director of Special Education - Network (NY, CT)
Who We Are
Excellence Community Schools (ECS) is an emerging Charter Management Organization (CMO) supporting schools in the Bronx, NY and Stamford, CT. Our programs are based on a proven, nationally recognized model, which originated in our flagship school, the Bronx Charter School for Excellence, a 2012 National Blue Ribbon School.
Our Mission and Vision
Our schools prepare young scholars to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, emotional, and ethical development. We accomplish this by offering a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum, which at the earliest of grades has an eye towards college preparation. To achieve this, our schools create a supportive and caring environment that at all times has high expectations of all students. We offer a differentiated, project-based learning environment that seeks to develop high-level analytic and critical thinking skills in all of our students. Our engaging and rigorous approach to educating our scholars is implemented by a collaborative team of teachers.
Who We Need
We are seeking individuals who are dedicated, ambitious, and committed to student success and education reform. Qualified candidates must demonstrate records of achievement, high degrees of personal responsibility, and the drive to do whatever it takes to ensure that every child achieves academic success. This individual must be committed to excellence, lead by example, and see collaboration as a key component of success.
- NY/CT Special Education Teacher Certification or reciprocity from another state in the equivalent area
- At least 5 years of professional experience, including 1 year in leadership role
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher with concentration in Special Education, School Psychology, or equivalent
- “Highly Qualified”
Candidates who do not meet the above requirements will not be considered.
- Develop, monitor, and manage program resources, policies, and procedures for compliance in educating students with special needs
- Provide leadership and training for network RtI programs for identifying and supporting a broad spectrum of abilities
- Cultivate collaborative leadership with Learning Specialists, School Psychologists, and/or district CSE
- Support crafting of developmentally appropriate and rigorous curricula and instructional materials that are tightly aligned to benchmarks and the Common Core Learning standards
- Supports instructional leadership and staff in the implementation of best practices to promote dramatic academic gains
- Design Special Education budgeting recommendations to create individualized school budgets based on school-specific populations and needs
- Provides resources, coaching, and leadership for campus coordinators and classroom teachers to implement intervention strategies
- Participates in meetings to develop and review Individual Education Plans and suggest appropriate supports as needed
- Conducts periodic program audits to monitor student achievement and evaluate program effectiveness
- Knowledgeable about Special Education law and advocates for students
- Manage, coach, and evaluate learning specialists, teachers, and support staff
- Manage external and internal service providers
- Prepares local, state, and federal reports or other documents as required
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Health, dental, and vision benefits, 403b available
- Performance-based compensation for staff
To learn more about our schools, please visit www.bronxexcellence.org and www.stamfordexcellence.org.