Middle School Science Teacher
Excellence Community Schools (ECS) is an emerging Charter Management Organization (CMO) supporting schools in the Bronx, NY and Stamford, CT. Our programs are based on a proven, nationally recognized model, which originated in our flagship school, the Bronx Charter School for Excellence, a 2012 National Blue Ribbon School.
Our schools prepare young scholars to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, emotional, and ethical development.
We accomplish this by offering a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum, which at the earliest of grades has an eye towards college preparation. To achieve this, our schools create a supportive and caring environment that at all times has high expectations of all students.
We offer a differentiated, project-based learning environment that seeks to develop high-level analytic and critical thinking skills in all of our students. Our engaging and rigorous approach to educating our scholars is implemented by a collaborative team of teachers.
We are seeking a Middle School Science Teacher (grades 5-8) who is dedicated, ambitious, and committed to student success.
Qualified candidates must demonstrate record of student achievement and a commitment to academic success.
- Knowledge of Common Core Standards.
- Differentiating curriculum to meet students' diverse needs.
- Building a classroom culture in which students love Science and take pleasure in discovering diverse strategies to solve scientific problems.
- Teaching students through an inquiry-based curriculum that focuses on logic and reasoning.
- Integrating technology into core classroom instruction.
- Guide students in preparing to be successful on the NY State Science Exam.
- Develop weekly lesson plans that correlate with NYS common core curriculum goals and objectives and uses a variety of teaching strategies to ensure that students are engaged and motivated.
- Collaborate with colleagues to plan units and lessons and develop expertise in implementing instruction.
- Become familiar with school charter, standardized testing and school wide plan, including goals set for student performance.
- Uses tests, classroom performance, and other evaluation and diagnostic tools to assess the progress of students expeditiously in order to create small group instruction and to identify curricular and professional development needs.
- Create and maintain an orderly, well-managed, and stimulating classroom environment.
- Evaluate student academic and social growth, keep accurate records, prepare progress reports and communicate with parents on individual pupil progress.
- Reflect on practice in a continuous effort to improve professional knowledge by participating in professional development opportunities.
- Possesses strong time management, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- This position reports to the school principal.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- NYS Teaching Certification or reciprocity from another state in the equivalent area required.
- At least 2 years of teaching experience at the middle school level required.
- Familiarity with Microbiology/Hydroponics/& Science teaching curriculum a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
Candidates who do not meet the above requirements will not be considered.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Health, dental, vision, & 403b Retirement Plan benefits available.
- Performance based compensation for staff.
To learn more about our schools, please visit www.excellencecommunityschools.org.