The Custodian is responsible for ensuring that a clean, safe, and healthy environment exists for scholars, employees, and visitors. This position will entail cleaning three Bronx school building facilities and will focus on the security, cleaning, maintenance, repair, storage, and operation needs across each.
- Cleaning interior and exterior of building facilities.
- Ensure spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture, and dusting surfaces.
- Sweeping and mopping floors and vacuuming carpets.
- Washing and sanitizing toilets, sinks, and showers, and restocking disposables (e.g. soap)
- Wiping mirrors and windows.
- Maintaining outer premises by watering plants, mowing lawns, and cleaning entrances.
- Utilizing insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests.
- Performing maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks etc.)
- Reporting major damages and overseeing repairs.
- Securing facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows, and setting up alarms.
- Undertaking occasional custodial and janitorial tasks such as (shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.)
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.) required.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a charter school and/or public school setting required.
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances required.
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components required.
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices required.
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness required.
- Ability to lift 50lbs required.
- Ability to speak English required.
Full-time position with Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits available.