Special Education Coordinator, Grade K-4 (NY)
Who We Are
Excellence Community Schools (ECS) is a Charter Management Organization (CMO) supporting schools in the Bronx, NY and Stamford, CT. Our programs are based on a proven, nationally recognized model, which originated in our flagship school, the Bronx Charter School for Excellence, a 2012 National Blue Ribbon School.
Our Mission and Vision
Our schools prepare young scholars to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, emotional, and ethical development. We accomplish this by offering a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum, which at the earliest of grades has an eye towards college preparation. To achieve this, our schools create a supportive and caring environment that at all times has high expectations of all students. We offer a differentiated, project-based learning environment that seeks to develop high-level analytic and critical thinking skills in all of our students. Our engaging and rigorous approach to educating our scholars is implemented by a collaborative team of teachers.
Who We Need
We are seeking individuals who are dedicated, ambitious, and committed to student success and education reform. Qualified candidates must demonstrate records of achievement, high degrees of personal responsibility, and the drive to do whatever it takes to ensure that every child achieves academic success. This individual must be committed to excellence, lead by example, and see collaboration as a key component of success.
- New York State Special Education Certification requirement.
- Masters Degree in Special Education or related field required.
- Previous experience in leadership role preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of successful teaching experience required.
- Track record of accomplishment and achievement required.
- Experience with and commitment to improving the quality of urban education, specifically for scholars who have been traditionally underserved required.
- Note: This is a 12 month position.
Candidates who do not meet the above requirements will not be considered.
- Serves as the primary liaison between district, CSE, and school personnel for special education services provided by the school
- Coordinates and oversees special education services and personnel to ensure students’ needs are being met
- Assumes some classroom teaching responsibilities
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal regulations pertaining to the education of students with special needs, including ADA, IDEA, and students’ IEPs
- Provides specialized instructional support and leadership in progress monitoring, student observations, and consultation with general education teachers.
- Supports the development of students’ IEPs and curriculum development
- Demonstrates a relentless pursuit to promote excellence in student achievement and conduct
- Maintains and exemplifies culture of high expectations and accountability for scholarly and professional conduct
- Facilitates the development and administration of policies related to students with special needs
- Supports faculty in curriculum development, and promotion of effective classroom instruction and management
- Supports, prepares, and submits requisite reports in a timely manner
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Health, dental, vision, & 403b Retirement Plan available.
- Performance-based compensation for staff.
To learn more about our schools, please visit www.excellencecommunityschools.org or www.bronxexcellence.org.